TregoED provides access to SCAN®, an online critical thinking tool for teachers to use with students. SCAN® is a tool which provides a fun, interactive, educational and safe experience for teachers and students. It is our policy that no personally identifiable information will be collected from the Website unless visitors provide it voluntarily to us. We also will not collect more information than is necessary for visitors to participate in the Website’s activities or services. The Website’s activities do not require students to provide any personally identified information, other than their initials as noted below.
If you visit our Website only to browse or read information:
- We will not require you to provide any personally identifiable information to us. We will, however, collect and store non-personally identified computer information, such as the domain and host from which you access the Internet, the Internet protocol address of your computer, the browser software and operating system of your computer, when you accessed our Website and any of its pages as well as the Internet address of the site from which you linked to our Website. We obtain some of this information through the use of “cookies” on your computer.
- We use this information only as anonymous aggregate data to determine how different sections of our Website are being used, to ensure the Website is working properly, and to improve our Website. We do not link this type of information to personally identifiable information or use it to track or record information about individuals. Generally, we delete this information after a reasonable period of time.
If you visit our Website and choose to register with us to gain access to the free Services provided on our Website:
Information We Collect
- We will collect certain personally identifiable information required to create a temporary registration, such as full name, email address, username and password. In addition, the Website will also ask for, but not require, other information which may or may not be applicable, such as whether the registrant is a teacher or administrator, the name of the school, the city and state where the school is located, the district size, the grade level the teacher or administrator works with, how he/she heard about us and whether they would like to receive email and newsletter notifications.
If you visit our Website as a student logging into a SCAN® Lesson as provided by a teacher or administrator:
Information We Collect
- It is our policy that the TregoEd.org Website will never acquire personally identifiable information from students, regardless of age. We have implemented this policy to comply with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (“COPPA”) and the FTC’s COPPA Frequently Asked Questions document.
- We will collect from the students the following information: (i) a username of their choosing, (ii) their initials (no more than 3 characters) and an online generic avatar of their choosing to represent them within the software.
How do we use personally identifiable information and other information collected from our Website?
We use personally identifiable information for internal purposes only, such as communicating with our registered users, sending newsletters or providing notification regarding changes to an account. If we do share personally identifiable information of our registered users with third party agents or contractors, then we will do so only with third party agents or contractors engaged by us to maintain or provide services on our Website. /We may share personally identifiable information with third party contractors that distribute occasional electronic newsletters and announcements. In all such cases, we require the vendor or third party to keep such information confidential and to use the information only for the specific service they are performing. Our registered users will always have the option to “Opt-Out” of any such electronic newsletters, announcements or communications.
How do we use non-personally identifiable information from students?
We share the information we collected from students and the SCAN® results from a specific SCAN® lesson to the teacher that invited the student to the SCAN® lesson—and to no one else. Thus, only the teacher that invited the student to a SCAN session can review the information we collect from the student. This information will not be accessible by other educators. Indeed, any information we collect from the student is deleted irrevocably from our systems on a regular basis.
A “cookie” is a small text file placed on your computer’s hard drive used to collect information about your activities on the Website. For example, a cookie makes it possible for you to restart your SCAN session where you most recently left off. The cookie transmits information about you to the Website’s computer which, generally speaking, is the only computer that can read it. If you want to know when this happens, or to prevent it from happening, you can set your browser to warn you when a Website attempts to place a “cookie” on your computer. You may still use portions of our Website if “cookies” are disabled.
What about collection and use of information by third party sites?
Our Website may contain links to other sites, including those of sponsors and advertisers, whose information practices may be different from ours. Because we have no control over unaffiliated websites to which we provide links, you should consult their specific privacy policies as they may follow different procedures.
How have we safeguarded your security?
We have put in place appropriate physical, electronic, and managerial procedures to safeguard and help prevent unauthorized access, maintain data security, and correctly use the information we collect online.
116 Village Blvd., Suite 300
Princeton, NJ 08540
Attn: Privacy Manager