Watch our 3 minute Video "SCAN in a Nutshell"
What is SCAN?
SCAN is a web-based tool that empowers students with critical thinking skills to help them make well-developed arguments and solve complex problems.
Students examine issues from different points of view using authentic scenarios and role-playing. Built-in steps and prompts focus thinking and discussion while building student understanding.
- Supports integration of critical thinking into curricula
- Easily implementable across core academic subject areas
- Addresses many state standards related to problem-solving and decision-making
- Complements state test preparation
Who is it for?
SCAN lessons currently emphasize social studies and life skills (including Health, character education, and teen-related issues) for middle and high school students. However, many teachers of other subject areas (technology, language arts, electives) find lessons which meet their teaching objectives. Also, any subscriber can create and use their own lessons - and we will be adding subjects! Science is next!
What features do teachers like?
- Easy lesson set-up and 24/7 access
- Over 100+ authentic, ready-to-use scenarios
- Creating and using their own lessons!
- Customizing lessons by adding links, instructions, and follow-up questions
- Safe and private online-space
- Tracking student participation and learning
- Easy to learn and use—for teachers and students!
- My Dashboard helps organize and manage your SCAN lessons—also features handy tips and tools
What is the SCAN process?
“SCAN is a thinking process which helps students examine complex situations. It consists of four, easy-to-follow steps: